This post is a bit of a blast from the past, but totally worth sharing. About a year ago I was shopping at the ReBuilding Center, which is one of my favorite stores for finding salvaged materials. On this trip I was looking for old cabinet doors I could convert to chalkboards, but I also came across a matched set of vintage/reproduction lighting that I couldn’t pass up. Lighting is one of my true weaknesses (along with cabinets with tiny drawers). I’d been looking to replace my unfortunate “boob lights” that lived on my living room ceiling and these were a perfect upgrade. Today I’m sharing a few before and after photos of our living room lighting update with my salvaged lighting find.
Before & After
After I learned the crockpot method for hardware stripping, I wanted to strip everything in my house, and trust me, there is a lot. With an almost 100 year old home, most of the hardware is paint-covered. I started with something easy and accessible, the door knobs to my tiny broom closet on the way down to the basement.
I stepped out with Cooper for a walk the other day, but didn’t get very far. Across the street, my neighbor had set out an old chifferobe dresser on the corner. Around here, that means it’s free for the taking! I went over with Coop and inspected the dresser. It had an adorable style with a terrible scratched paint job, a very vibrant green spray paint over white. I thought, I can make this beautiful again! Today I present my first dresser makeover. Be sure to check out the before and after’s below.
On my previous post, Reupholstering a Mission Rocker Par 1, I shared my estate sale find, a Mission-style rocker that was in dire need of new upholstery. In the first post I shared how I dismantled the old fabric, installed new spring bars and hand tied the new springs. With the new springs in place, I was now ready to jump into the next phases of my Mission Rocker Reupholstery: covering the springs, adding foam and batting, and finally reupholstering with new vinyl.
About a year ago I was out estate saleing on my own and came across this great little Mission-style rocker sadly sitting in a garage. The wood was in decent shape, but the cushion was a bit lumpy, hole-ridden and in need of an update to be usable. I was able to talk the woman down in their original price from $40 or so down to $25. I’m not really one to haggle normally, but I let her know that it would be a bit of a reupholstery project to get it back to its glory days. I’m glad I did, because it became even more of a project then I initially thought I was taking on.